Saturday, April 25, 2009

Twittering (tweeting) a Poem:
Running Into Cherry Blossoms

It’s been awhile since I wrote a real live poem. But today, after seeing a cherry tree just beginning to blossom, I knew I needed to write something. So I did.

After completing the poem, I decided to tweet it line my line. Unlike Ben Okri who did the same, line by line, day by day, I decided to do this in one day, with intervals of maybe ½ hour or less. After all, I’m no Ben Okri.

In doing so, I discovered a benefit in such a project. I began to take an even closer look at each line. Of course, I should be doing this already. But nevertheless, such was the case in this event.

So here’s the finished work:

Running Into Cherry Blossoms

My mind was running like my car this morning
focused on some marginal pursuit
as well as breakfast and a mug of coffee,
when I caught a trace of cherry blossoms
like a coral-colored burst beginning
to descend in periodic sprays.
Gloria in Excelsis, the Manifest
approach of consciousness has materialized
in this imagining this morning. Just sensing
its presence with all my sight, I’ve disappeared
completely. All that now remains is one
abyss in blossom, fresh, unyielding, light.



~Peace to All and One,
Son Rivers

No comments: